By: Yusuf M Hasan
MOGADISHU (Somalilandsun) – A new administration has been inaugurated in Somalia
The prime minister of Somalia Abdi-Farah Shirdoon ‘Saeed’ has announced a 10 member cabinet of ministers that includes the first woman to hold the post of deputy prime minister and minister of foreign affairs.
The ten ministerial appointments are:
1. M/s Fozia Yusuf Haji Aden –Deputy Prime minister and minister of foreign affairs.
2. Abdilahi Abyan Nuur- Minister of Justice and religious endowment.
3. Abdihakim Haji Mahmud Fiqi- Minister of Defence
4. Abdikarin Hussein Guleid – Minister of Interior and National Security.
5. Mahmud Hasan Suleiman- Minister of Finance and Planning
6. Abdilahi Ilmooge Hirsi- Minister of Broadcasting and Information
7. Abdirizaq Omar Mohamed – Minister of Natural Resources
8. Muhdin Mohamed Kalmoye – Minister of Public works and Reconstruction
9. Maryan Qasim – Minister of Development and social Welfare
10. Mahmud Ahmed Hasan – Minister of Commerce and Industry.
This cabinet of ministers which is also very small as compared to past ones and includes two women happens to be mainly composed of new faces thus a sure sign that president Hasan Sheikh Mahmud is intent on a complete facelift.
This intent was originally discerned by the president’s appointment of Prime Minister Shirdoon who is himself a new face in the country’s political and public administration scene.
The appointment of interest here is that of M/s Fozia Yusuf as deputy premier and foreign affairs ministers. While she is the first woman to hold those posts in the history of Somalia she also happens to be originally from Somaliland where her political designs were nabbed after her NDB party was denied approval to contest imminent local council elections.