Somalilandsun: As from the 17th May 2020 Khat shall be a legal commodity in the whole of the country after the Somaliland national coronavirus prophylactic committee revoked its ban of Khat imports as a measure to curb spread of the virus.
This was revealed in a directive ref #JSL/OG/05-01/00186/052020 and dated 16th May released by the inter-ministerial committee chaired by the vice president and addressed to Khat traders that read
Quote; AS you are aware Khat imports had been suspended for a month as a coronavirus preventive measure.
And as only four days are left to the end of the suspension period the national coronavirus prophylactic committee has decided to revoke the ban as from the 17th May but with extra guidelines on sale and transportation of the commodity namely.
- Only two sellers are allowed at Khat stalls with one operating inside the other outside and maintaining a two metres distance.
- The sellers to always use a face mask and hand gloves
- For every Khat seller to avail anti-bacterial gel for hand washing purposes by both traders and customers
- For Khat transporting and distributing drivers and loaders to always put on face masks and hand gloves as well as have in place anti-bacterial gel and wash hands regularly
- Khat buyers to maintain a two metres distance and
- As earlier indicated no persons shall be allowed to chew in a marfash -unquote