We are currently in the process of testing several options for commenting. Right now the option for commenting through Facebook accounts is active. Soon we will decide which system we will use. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to leave your comments through the Facebook option.
If you have any suggestion or ideas, please let us know at email@example.com
Somaliland Sun Editorial Team, May 20, 2013
- A Collection of Resources for any Writer
- Human Trafficking Somali Gang Members Indicted
- Somaliland: “Recruitment and Termination of Civil Service is Neither Nepotistic nor Clan Based”
- Reflections on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam
- Somaliland: 2012 Football Finalists Meet again for the 2013 Finals
- Somaliland: “Ethiopia Shall Defend Somaliland to the Hilt” PM Desalegn
- Somaliland to Stand by Ethiopia over Any Nile Water Conflict
- Somaliland: SFG Protests Ethiopia's Support for Somaliland and Military Display
- Somaliland: Military Displays Human and Equipment Might
- Somaliland: Foreign Minister Addresses National Issues at the SORIC Investment Conference in Kenya
|Somaliland: 1st official participation in IGAD Deliberations|
|Wednesday, 09 May 2012 13:13|
By: Yusuf M Hasan
ADDIS ABABA (Somalilandsun) – The nation has participated in an official capacity a meeting of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development-IGAD
The participation follows an official invitation from the East African countries development organization recognition of Somaliland's importance as a viable player in Horn Issues. During the meeting held in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa the country's representatives were Dr Mohamed Abdilahi Omar minister of foreign affairs, Dr Saad Ali Shire Minister of planning and national coordination and Hon Duur Arale minister of Interior.
The meeting which was also attended by donors of IGAD based countries deliberated on development issues pertaining to uplifting living standards within IGAD members. IGAD and its donors agreed on the need to extend development activities thus attain ultimate goal of poverty reduction within the region.
In his address to the assembly Dr Saad Ali Shire thanked the countries and organizations that support various sectors for prevalent development achievements in the country, he also thanked IGAD for the official invitation which he termed as an approval and silent recognition of Somaliland by the regional body.
Foreign affairs minister Dr Mohamed Abdilahi said that Somaliland appreciates the invitation and will continue to uphold all the achievements it has garnered internally as well as in the international front. He also promised the country's full support for IGAD as its position is strong for utilization by the body especially in security and democratization in the Horn.
The IGAD secretary General Mr. Mahbuub Ma'alin said that the invitation of Somaliland to the meeting which will now be constant comes after an IGAD assessment mission to the country which he recently led.
He said that the assessment proved that Somaliland was a viable partner in all IGAD activities and though unrecognized internationally is worthy of inclusion as a full participant in IGAD meetings thus full beneficiary of development programs.
You are not aloneWe have 181 guests online