By: Yusuf M Hasan
HARGEISA (Somalilandsun) – Importers no longer have a reason to charge exorbitant prices for their products as in the recent past.
This follows a reversal on the increased import taxes that had been imposed at the port of Berbera by finance officials resulting in an outcry by local businesses who demanded an immediate reversal that saw President Ahmed Mahmud Silanyo intervene after discussions and return tax fees to original figures.
Following a meeting between local importers and the executive at the presidency in Hargeisa a six point agreement was reached namely
1. Public finance officials to reverse increased taxes with immediate effect thence a 40ft Container to be charged $200 while the 20ft is to be charged $100
2. Flat port rate to be 700 000slshs –equivalent to $100
3. To cease collection of overtime fees during normal working hours.
4. Port to warehouse imported goods for 14 days without charges from date of offloading as opposed to the earlier seven days
5. Cease charging the D/O $50 and
6. Storage charges to cease for reminder of goods being transported
Hopefully this will see a reduction in prices of essentially commodities in the country considering the outcry made last week by the Chamber of commerce
Copyright © 2015 Somalilandsun, All rights reserved.