As the Frontline Defenders terms the detention of Ahmedand charging of Guled as a judicial Harrasment of the Somaliland Human Rights Centre
Somalilandsun- Ahmed Hussein Abdi, the spokesperson of Human Rights Centre, is still in detention at the Hargeisa Criminal Investigation Department (CID). He is not officially charged.
At the same time Guleid Ahmed Jama, the chairperson of Human Rights Centre, is accused of two accounts: 1. Publication of false news and 2. Defamation.
The detention of Ahmed and the charges of Guleid are related to a petition organized by Human Rights Centre calling on police reform.
On the other hand the Frontline Defenders has termed the detention of Ahmed and charging of Guleid as judicial Harrasment of the Human Rights Centre
In a statement the Front Line Defenders urges the authorities in Somaliland to:
1. Immediately and unconditionally release Ahmed Hussein Abdi, as Front Line Defenders believes that he is being held solely as a result of his legitimate and peaceful work in the defence of human rights;
2. Ensure that the treatment of Ahmed Hussein Abdi, while in detention, adheres to the conditions set out in the ‘Body of Principles for the Protection of All Persons under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment', adopted by UN General Assembly resolution 43/173 of 9 December 1988;
3. Allow Ahmed Hussein Abdi immediate and unfettered access to his family and lawyers;
4. Immediately drop all charges against Guleid Ahmed Jama as it is believed that they are solely motivated by his legitimate and peaceful work in defence of human rights;
5. Guarantee in all circumstances that all human rights defenders in Somaliland are able to carry out their legitimate human rights activities without fear of reprisals and free of all restrictions.