Somalilandsun – The TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF MOMBASA (www.tum.ac.ke ) advertises
2 Ph.D. scholarships (3 year duration) in collaboration with Roskilde University, Denmark (www.ruc.dk ) and funded by the Consultative Research Committee for Development Research (FFU) under Denmark’s
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Danida).
We invite applications for two fully funded PhD positions at the Technical University of Mombasa’s Department of Liberal Studies and Community Development as part of a joint research programme entitled ‘Governing Economic Hubs and Flows in Somali East
Africa’ (GOVSEA) (2014-2017). This programme studies the relation between everyday economic activities and processes of state formation in the Somali inhabited regions of East Africa. It is implemented in partnership with Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia,
University of Hargeisa, Somaliland, Roskilde University, Denmark and the DanishInstitute for International Studies, Denmark. See also http://govsea.tumblr.com/
PhD research projects
Successful applicants will be fully funded and enrolled at the Technical University of Mombasa, Kenya with a possibility of co-enrollment at Roskilde University. The duration of the scholarship is 3 years and includes research stays in Denmark and a some nine
months of fieldwork.
• Ph.D. project 1 focuses on the import, transport and trade of consumer goods
along the Berbera – Hargeisa – Togwajale corridor in Somaliland.
• Ph.D. project 2 focuses on cross-border livestock trade in the Kenyan-Somali
Both Ph.D. projects will be supervised by Dr. Hussein A. Mahmoud (Technical University of Mombasa) and Dr. Tobias Hagmann (Roskilde University).
Requirements for applicants
• Must hold an MA in the social sciences from a recognized university (anthropology, geography, sociology, political science, development studies etc.)
• Must be willing to conduct fieldwork in challenging and sometimes insecure research sites and preferably possess previous research experience
• Must be fluent in English, both oral and written
• Must have Somali language skills
• Are willing to travel and actively participate in the different activities undertaken by the GOVSEA research programme
• A two page cover letter in which the applicant a) specifies for which Ph.D. project s/he applies (chose between project 1 and 2), b) explains his or her qualification for the research project and c) proposes initial research questions and ideas for the doctoral study envisaged
• A detailed CV stating the applicant’s educational and professional history
• Copies of academic certificates and transcripts
• An electronic copy of the applicant’s MA thesis (or other relevant publications)
• Contact details of three referees
How to apply
Applications should be sent by email with the subject title ‘GOVSEA application’ to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 30 November 2014. Questions related to this application may be forwarded to the same email address. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Successful applicants are selected by a panel of senior researchers of the GOVSEA research programme. The appointment will commence on the 1st of January 2015 or soon thereafter.