By: Yusuf M Hasan
HARGEISA (Somalilandsun) – Somalilanders with disabilities shall from today henceforth enjoy all public facilities similarly with their able bodied compatriots nationwide.
The president of Somaliland H.E Ahmed Mahmud Silanyo has decreed that all facilities both state and privately owned buildings that provide public services to immediately put in place amenities for disabled persons.
In the presidential decree # JSL/M/XERM/249-2232/ released by the presidential press office informed that the head of state was guided by the need to avail disabled citizens their constitutionally enshrined rights as well as on cultural considerations. The Decree read
I, the president of the Republic of Somaliland Ahmed Mahmud Mohamed Silanyo having and after careful
• Perusal of Articles 19 and 90 of the Constitution of the republic of Somaliland
• Considering the imperative need to avail disable citizens ease of access to public services
• Satisfied after Discerning difficulties encountered by the segment of Disabled citizens of Somaliland while pursuing services in Hospitals, Schools, Mosques, Utilities (Electrivcityy,Water etc), working places, Sports grounds and all other facilities providing public services both private and state owned and
• In pursuit of fulfiling government responsibilities in ensuring all citizens are treated equally
Do hereby decree as pertains to
1. Public and Private Buildings offering Public services nationwide
I. All buildings nationwide be they state or privately owned that provide public services and communal meeting areas must put in place (Construct) amenities that facilitate ease of movement and access to services of disabled citizens as from the day this decree becomes effective.
II. State and Privately owned buildings and other areas of communal activities must avail special parking areas for disabled persons.
2. Execution of this Decree
The full execution of this presidential decree is in the joint responsibility of Ministry of Public works, Housing and Transport, Ministry of Internal Affairs (Interior) and Ministry of Labour and social services in conjunction with all local governments in the country.
3. Entry into Force
This decree shall come into force as of 13th January 2014
ALLAA MAHAD LEH
Ahmed Mahmud Mohamed Silanyo
President of the Republic of Somaliland
Translated from original Somali language press statement by Somalilandsun