Somalilandsun – In exercise of the authority vested in him by the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and in conformity with the expectations of a lean and effective structure, President Kenyatta officially released the list of ministries and state departments that will form the National Executive as follows:
Under the Presidency, there will the Executive Office of the President and the Executive Office of the Deputy President with two ministries:
Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government.
Ministry of Devolution and Planning.
Other ministries are:
4. Foreign Affairs.
5. Education which will have the Department of Education and Department of Science and Technology.
6. The National Treasury.
8. Transport and Infrastructure which will have the Department of Transport Services and the Department of Infrastructure.
9. Environment, Water and Natural Resource.
10. Land, Housing and Urban Development.
11. Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) .
12. Sports, Culture and the Arts.
13. Labour, Social Security and Services.
14. Energy and Petroleum.
15. Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries under which are the Department of Agriculture, Department of Livestock and Department of Fisheries
16. Industrialization and Enterprise Development.
17. Commerce and Tourism which has the Department of Commerce and Department of Tourism.
The structure also contains the Office of the Attorney General and Department of Justice.
In the new structure, President Kenyatta has collapsed the ministries from 44 to 18. The reduced structure is geared towards achieving a lean, efficient and effective executive branch of Government.
In the structure, the President has given special focus to the youth, gender, devolution, planning as well as national cohesion and integration which have all been brought under the Presidency.
Also given special focus is mining which is now a stand-alone ministry. Information, Communication and Technology ministry as well as Sports, Culture and Arts are also stand-alone ministries with a view to leveraging on the creative potential of the youth. Infrastructure ministries as well as national resources ministries have also largely been brought under the same roof.