As of 1st September 2012 the EU’s counter piracy task force (EUNAVFOR) has been augmented by the addition of the offshore patrol vessel RELAMPAGO of the Spanish Navy.
The RELAMPAGO, a member of Spains newest BAM class of warships, is a high performance, modular vessel capable of being adapted to a number of roles including:
• Protection and escort of other ships in low intensity/asymmetric warfare situations
• Control of maritime traffic
• Control and neutralization of terrorism and piracy
• Operations against drug trafficking and human trafficking
• Search and rescue
• Support for crisis situations and humanitarian aid
• Control of fishing laws
• Control of environmental legislation and anti-pollution.
Shes joins EUNAVFOR well prepared in the counter-piracy role as well as being able to offer protection to maritime shipping. The addition of RELAMPAGO to the counter piracy mission heralds a new generations of smaller, highly adaptable vessels which will be able to use their high speed and modern equipment to monitor ever increasing portions of the high risk area.